The blog presents the solved Section C, that consists of English Language of the All India Sainik School Entrance Exam (AISSEE) held in Jan 2019. I hope this exercise would help the new aspirants to practise their English Language for AISSEE as well as other competitive exams.
Section C – Language
76. Did you apply ____________ this post ? (Supply the correct preposition)
77. You should take care _________ your health (supply the correct preposition)
78. He is rich ___________ he is not happy. (supply the correct conjunction)
79. Work hard _________ you will fail. (supply the correct conjunction)
80. The child _________ for two hours (select the correct form of verb)
(a) has been sleeping
(b) have been sleeping
(c) has slept
(d) will sleep
Read the following passage and answer the questions (Questions 81 to 85)
From far out in space, Earth looks like a blue ball. Since water covers three-fourths of the Earth’s surface, blue is the colour we see most. The continents look brown, like small islands floating in the huge, blue sea. While clouds wrap around the Earth like a light blanket. the Earth is shaped like a sphere, or a ball. It is 25,000 miles around! It would take more than a year to walk around the whole planet. A spaceship can fly around the widest part of the sphere in only 90 minutes.
Even though spaceships have travelled to the Moon, people cannot visit the Moon without special suits. The Moon has no air or water. Plants and animals can’t live there either. Astronauts first landed on the Moon in 1969. After that, there were six more trips to the Moon. they brought back Moon rocks, which scientists are still studying. There are holes, or craters, all over the Moon’s surface. Scientists believe that meteorites smashed into the Moon millions of years ago and formed the craters.
The Sun is the closest star to the Earth. A star is a hot ball of burning gas. The Sun looks very big because it is so close. But the Sun is just a medium-sied star. Billions of far-away starts are much bigger than our Sun. The burning gases from the Sun are so hot that they warm the Earth from 93 million miles away! Even though the Sun is always glowing, the night here on Earth is dark. That’s because Earth rotates, or turns around, every 24 hours. During the day, the Earth faces the Sun. Then we see light. During the night, the Earth turns away from the Sun. Then it faces the darkness of space. Each day we learn more about the Earth, the Moon and the Sun.
81. Why is the blue color we see most when looking at Earth from outer space ?
(a) Because most of the Earth is covered in land.
(b) Because the Sun’s rays make the Earth look blue.
(c) Because most of the Earth is covered in water
(d) Because clouds wrap around the Earth
82.What does “formed” mean ?
83. What causes daylight on Earth ?
(a) the full Moon causes daylight
(b) daylight is caused by the Earth facing away from the Sun
(c) The heat of the Sun’s rays causes daylight
(d) Daylight is caused by the Earth facing toward the Sun
84. Which of the following sentences BEST describes the Sun ?
(a) The Sun looks small because it is so far from the Earth
(b) The Sun is a ball of burning gases that gives the Earth heat and light
(c) The Sun is a small star
(d) The Sun is not as hot as it looks
85. Why did the astronauts bring rocks back from the Moon ?
(a) because they don’t know if they would return to the Moon ever again
(b) because they wanted to prove that they went to the Moon
(c) because they wanted to remember how the Moon looked
(d) because they wanted to study them and learn more about the Moon
86. Which word means nearly the same as “scream” ?
87. Which word means nearly the same as “happy” ?
Choose the appropriate options to complete the sentences.
88. The men are working. Their ______ are at home.
89. Rahul works less _______ than Mohan.
(b) more carefully
(d) careful as
90. It _______ all day long yesterday.
(a) was rained
(d) has rained
Rearrange the following words/ groups of words to make meaningful sentences. Choose the correct sequence given in the options.
Choose the appropriate option to fill in the blanks:
93. One who leads an austere life.
94. A person who presents a radio/ television programme.
95. Pick the gender of “Lad”
96. Choose the gender of “Fox”.
97. ________ always stood third in her class (supply the correct pronoun)
98. All the candidates should bring _________ own pen. (supply the correct pronoun)
99. Experience is the ________ teacher. (supply the correct adjective)
100. __________ a beautiful scene it is ! (pick up the correct adverb)