The blog presents the solved Section C, that consists of English Language of the All India Sainik School Entrance Exam (AISSEE) held in Jan 2018. I hope this exercise would help the new aspirants to practise their English Language for AISSEE as well as other competitive exams.
Section C – Language
Read the following passage and answer the questions.
Everyone thought that Horace Denby was a good and honest citizen. He was about fifty years old and unmarried, and he lived with a housekeeper who worried over his health. In fact, he was usually very well and happy, except for attacks of hay fever in summer. He made expensive locks and was successful enough at his business to have two helpers. Yes, Horace Denby was good and respectable – but not completely honest.
Fifteen years ago, Horace had served his first and only sentence in prison for stealing jewels. The priest at the prison had liked Horace – everyone did – and had tried to help him to live an honest life. But Horace did not want to become honest. He only wanted to make sure that his dishonesty never got him into trouble again.
76. Horace Denby was__________ .
(D) both (a) & (b)
77. ______________ worried about the health of Horace.
(A) his wife
(B) the priest
(C) his housekeeper
78. For stealing jewels, Horace was sent to prison__________ .
(A) only once
79. The profession of Horace was_____________ .
80. Choose the word which means the opposite of EXPENSIVE.
81. Choose the word which means almost same as UNMARRIED.
Choose the most appropriate option given against each question.
82. A heard of cows or___________ .
83. This is my book and that is _________ .
84. Rajan’s father and Rohan’s father____________ businessmen.
85. My friends__________been asking for the party photographs.
86. Rakesh _______________ his mother tongue very fluently.
(D) none of these
87. Ankit and his family __________ in Europe for three weeks.
(A) have been travelling
(B) have travelling
(C) been travelling
(D) have travelled
88. Bharti _________ yoga classes these days.
(B) has attending
(C) is attending
(D) has been attending
89. My house is ________________as yours.
(B) as big
90. This is the _____________comics I have ever read.
(A) most interesting
(B) more interesting
(C) less interesting
(D) none of these
Select one word from the options for the given definition.
91. A book or work of art whose author is unknown:-
92. A person who believes in the existence of God:-
Select the most appropriate option for question tag.
93. I have completed my homework,____________________ ?
(A) have I
(B) has I
(C) do I
(D) haven’t I
94. He does not do his work sincerely,__________________ ?
(A) does he
(B) did he
(C) doesn’t he
(D) do he
Rearrange the following words/groups of words to make meaningful sentences. Choose the correct sequence given in the options.
Mark the option with the correct spelling of the given words:
97. (A) address (B) adres (C) adress (D) addres
98. (A) appresiation (B) appreciation (C) appreciason (D) apreciation
Choose the appropriate option to fill in the blanks:
99. ‘Books’ is for ‘book’, __________is for ‘ship’.
100. ‘Kids’ is for ‘kid’, _________is for ‘child’
(D) None of these