The blog discusses the Questions and Answers from the lesson 5, Evolution of Mankind, Environmental Science, Part 2, from Class 5. Students can use these answers for reference in their studies.
Q1. Fill in the blanks.
1. Homo is latin word which means man.
2. The Neanderthals primarily lived in caves.
Q2. Answer each question in one sentence.
1. Who is said to have first made tools like a hand axe ?
Ans. The Homo erectus were the first to make tools like a hand axe.
2. What is heredity ?
Ans. The similarity in appearance and health characteristics of human beings to their ancestors is called heredity.
Q3. Give reasons for the following.
1. The Neanderthals became extinct.
Ans. The Neanderthals became extinct about 30,000 years ago due to following reasons :
(a) The Neanderthals had conflicts with their neighbours, the Homo Sapiens in Europe
(b) The Neanderthals were unable to adapt to the environmental changes.
2. Human beings could produce subtle and varied types of sound.
Ans. The Human beings could produce subtle and varied types of sound because :
(a) the Homo sapiens had developed to a stage wherein they had fully developed larynx
(b) their jaws and muscles inside the mouth were well-developed
(c) their tongue was flexible.
Q4. Read the clues given below and find the words hidden in the box.
• Humans who stood upright. – Homo Erectus
• A sound that Neanderthals could make. – Grunt
• Humans who used their hands. – Homo Habilis
• Homo sapiens sapiens began to grow this in field – Grain
• Pieces of stone used to make tools. – Flakes
• It kept Homo erectus warm although they could not make it. – Fire
• A country in which remains of Homo habilis were found. – Kenya
• A way of preparing food that Neanderthals used. – Roast
• A tool made by Homo erectus. – Hand-axe
• Homo sapiens could do this to make pictures. – Draw
• Humans could see their hands because they learnt to stand on two of these. – Feet
• The country in which remains of Neanderthals were found. – Germany
• These were buried with them when Neanderthals died. – Horns