The blog discusses the Questions and Answers from Environmental Studies II, chapter 7, From Shelters To Village-Settlements, from Class 5. Students can use these answers for reference in their studies.
Q1. Answer each question in one sentence.Which were the animals the Homo sapiens mainly hunted ?
Ans. The Homo sapiens mainly hunted smaller animals like :
(a) wild bear
(c) mountain goat and
2. What is the characteristics of New Stone Age culture ?
Ans. The beginning of cultivation is the characteristics of New Stone Age
Q2. Give reasons for the following :
1. The diet of Homo sapiens underwent a change ?
Ans. The diet of Homo sapiens underwent a change because :
(a) The climate became warmer and the environment was changing.
(b) Big animals like the mammoths were becoming extinct.
2. Homo sapiens needed to stay in one place over a longer period of time ?
Ans. Homo sapiens needed to stay in one place over a longer period of time because :
(a) With the begining of cultivation it was no longer necessary to move
from one place to another in search of food.
(b) The nature of agricultural work made it necessary to stay in one place
for a longer time.
Q3. Observe the reconstructed picture of a Middle Stone Age Seasonal camp given below and answer the following questions:
1. Describe the structure of the houses in the picture.
Ans. The structure of the house is a temporary structure like a tent or
a hut. The roofs are made up of dried grass and tree branches give the support to the structure.
2. What materials are used to construct the houses ?
Ans. Material used were grass and wood.
3. What are the jobs that people at the seasonal camp were engaged in ?
Ans. The people at the seasonal camp were engaged in jobs like fishing, agriculture, hunting and making small boats.
Q4. Write about the effects of seasonal changes in weather on your life ?
Ans. The seasonal changes weather brings about changes in my life as well :
1. I wear clothes according to seasons, i.e. I wear warm woollen clothes in winter and cool cotton clothes in summer.
2. I eat fruits like mango and grapes that are available only in certain seasons.
3. Change in season causes common diseases and sometimes makes me sick.
4. Change in season also brings restriction on the games I play. I have to play more indoor games during monsoon.
Q5. Compare the New Stone Age village with a Modern village.