The blog presents the Grammar question and answers of the 4.5 The Old Man and The Sea, written by Ernest Hemingway, from Kumarbharati of Class 10.
Q5. The review describes the struggle between the old man with the marlin and sharks, Ernest Hemingway’s struggle against defeat or death and noble struggle against destruction. Find all the words from the text that are related to the word ‘brave’ or ‘courage’.
Q7. Read the text again. You will find that the text contains many phrases. Match the phrases in ’A’ and their meanings in ’B’. After matching their meanings, make sentences of your own.
Q8. (A) Rewrite as directed, without change of meaning, in your notebook.
1. Hemingway’s novel is based on real events. (Convert the underlined adjective to an Adjectival Clause)
Ans. Hemingway’s novel is based on events which are real.
2. He hooks a marlin but the marlin is too strong for him. (Rewrite beginning with Although)
Ans. Although he hooks a marlin, the marlin is too strong for him.
3. The reader can read his work again and again and find new layers of meaning.
(Begin the sentence with On reading)
Ans. On reading his work again and again the reader finds new layers of meaning.
4. As the novel progresses, the old man and the marlin are inseperably linked. (Rewrite using progress as a Noun)
Ans. During the progress of the novel, the old man and the marlin are inseperably linked.
5. Being strong, the marlin starts pulling the boat. (Rewrite inserting and as a Coordinator)
Ans. The marlin is strong and starts pulling the boat.
6. When I first read this novel, I was unimpressed. (Rewrite using but as a Coordinator)
Ans. I read this novel before, but was unimpressed.
(B) Write the ’root-word’ after dropping the prefix or suffix or both.
1. unable – able
2. heavily – heavy
3. determination – determine
4. endurance – endure
5. unimpressed – impress
6. relationship – relate
7. inseperably – seperate
8. empathetic – empathize
9. beautiful – beauty
10. simplicity – simple